Roasted honey red stretch

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The Codex Sinaiticus and Me



A number of years ago the Dead Sea Scrolls visited the Public Museum of Grand Rapids ( http://www.centuryone.com/2122-7.html ) I got together a few freinds and my children and we went to see this awesome exhibit! It took my breath away to be inches from the Isaiah Scroll! Isaiah is a particular love of mine in scripture.

In fact, the Bible is a particular love for me. My favorite thing to study and book to read! Over the past 30 some years since i had a powerful experience of God in my life, i have sought to memorize as much of it as possible. When scripture is read at mass, many sections are like old friends to me, giving my peace and comfort.

Today The British Library has announced that a project to scan the Codex Sinaiticus in total and post it online is complete! The Codex dates primarily from the 4th century but some parts are even from the First Century.

Whereas the Dead Sea Scrolls are Hebrew scrolls of the Hebrew Bible (or Old Testament), along with some additional psalms and documents from Qumran, the Codex is the First known Complete Christian Bible. It was written all in Koine Greek(the vernacular).

In viewing the actual pages today a similar sense of awe and wonder consumed me. This is a gift of God to humanity, written lovingly by some anonymous monks, scribes who we do not know and have never been canonized as saints. I thank God for them!

Paul said "without faith it is impossible to please God", I believe that faith is what brings us closer to God. We all sin, we all fall short of perfection and need to be redeemed daily, but unless we trust in the infinite mercy of God we will never understand Him or His Love letter to us--the Bible! http://www.codexsinaiticus.org/en

No comments:


The Big Mac