Roasted honey red stretch

Thursday, October 1, 2015

Starting a New Series


So a Facebook meme, as they often do, has gotten my ire. I have decided that this ignorance of other cultures has gone on long enough in these United States and I can be a small part of the solution. Especially since it is my culture that is being misunderstood. 

Were you aware that Catholicism is a separate and distinct culture within American life? We have a different vocabulary and style of living (more about that later). 

Many of the common terms that we used are completely misunderstood. Take the word "pray" for instance. I see strong reactions among normally sane Americans to  common uses of this term by Catholics. 

Some words, like this one, are misunderstood simply because the usage of the term has changed over time. Less than one hundred years ago this term meant to request or to petition something from someone. It did not imply that the person you are addressing is superior to you, nor did it imply that the person you are petitioning is some kind of Supreme authority. Catholics mean it like that, regularly. 

We pray to this or that saint, God, and even angels, and it means we are asking for help, usually prayers or intercessions as they can give. Now it used to be universally understood that Christians live forever, Catholics still believe that and act upon that assumption.

I think that it used to be common knowledge among all Christians that  the Bible tells us that the prayers of the saints rise like incense before God (Revelation 8: 3&4). Indicating not only do the saints pray, but that it is a pleasing fragrance to the Father.

The last point I want to make on prayer is that Catholics love Jesus Christ. He is the one we turn to for life, hope, salvation and healing. He is our rock and out redeemer. When I wake up every day, I greet my Lord, I read His word, and I pray to Him. If I ask the intercession of a saint or an angel, it is a secondary or supplementary approach to getting a need met. 

In future posts in this series I will address other misconceptions on the Catholic way of life and our special vocabulary. God bless you all. Additionally, I will quote the pope in his trademark statement, Pray for me. 

Since I am aware that most internet readers do not read long posts I will save more for another post. 


No comments:


The Big Mac